Research Associate / Scientist (Bioprocess) - Closing date November 20th, 2020
Isomerase is one of the UK’s leading biotechnology contract research organisations specialising in synthetic biology, strain bioengineering, fermentation process development and scale-up. We work in partnership with global companies to research, develop and manufacture products such as life-saving new medicines and other novel microbially-derived natural products.
The Company is growing rapidly and has recently moved into a new HQ facility in Cambridge. As part of this exciting phase of growth, we are also looking to recruit a talented and enthusiastic Research Scientist/Associate to join our Bioprocess team. Working closely with highly experienced colleagues, you will be a key team member working hands on in the development, scale-up and technology transfer of a wide variety of microbial processes including the operation of upstream and downstream equipment at various scales. Previous experience working with fungal and bacterial fermentations in bioreactors is highly desirable.
The Role will involve:
- Designing and executing high-quality research work at lab and pilot scale including the operation of lab-scale bioreactors (USP)
- Primary product recovery prior to further downstream processing and purification (DSP)
- Process Development to improve product titres, rates and yields
- Working with a wide variety of GMO and non-GMO microbial strains
- Identifying scale-up challenges and developing robust bioprocesses for transfer to manufacturing scale
- Analysing data and presenting results to internal and external stakeholders
- Providing technical expertise in USP/DSP
- Following and refining local codes of practice for bioprocessing including writing and reviewing related risk assessments
- Providing traceable records of lab work, experimental design and report writing
- Reviewing, writing and updating internal operating procedures and documents
- Maintenance and housekeeping to ensure a safe working environment
- You should hold a relevant science degree, a PhD or industry experience and have worked in a relevant laboratory environment.
- You have experience with bioprocess development: you are a biochemical engineer, fermentation scientist or biologist with experience designing and running bioreactor experiments and operating control software
- Practical experience of aseptic techniques and an understanding of molecular/synthetic biology techniques is desirable.
- Previous experience with bioprocess optimisation, using shake flasks and bioreactors at various scales
- Ability to design and perform process development experiments with excellent data interpretation, drawing of conclusions and proposals for further work
- Working knowledge of design of experiment (DoE) tools for use in process development and analysis
- Previous experience in primary recovery applications i.e. microfiltration, ultrafiltration and resin treatment techniques would be an advantage
- An understanding of process analytical tools for collecting and analysing biological process data
- Ability to author comprehensive and accurate SOPs and protocols/reports
- Ability to work across multiple projects, with excellent communication and reporting skills and be comfortable working as part of a diverse team
- Able to identify and develop new techniques and methodologies where necessary to support the business needs