Careers at Isomerase
Isomerase is an innovative, growing biotechnology company based at Chesterford Research Park near Cambridge, UK. It was founded in 2012 and has particular expertise in synthetic biology, bioengineering and the discovery and development of the next generation of microbial natural products, proteins and peptides for use in areas such as medicine, agritech or sustainable alternatives to existing petroleum based products.
We are looking for excellent candidates able to work in a multidisciplinary team generating technologies and solving problems on the chemistry/biology interface.
We are looking for a research scientist to assist in key research activities in the field of bioprocess engineering. This position is primarily a lab-based role which requires hands-on execution of upstream development, optimisation and characterisation experiments using small-scale models, and larger steam in place piloting bioreactors including analysis and interpretation of experimental data. The person will be reporting to the departmental leader.
- Support upstream fermentation/cell culture experiments for process development and optimisation
- Assist in designing experiments related to development, scale-up, scale-down, and characterisation of fermentation and primary recovery processes
- Interpret results and design studies for process improvements using statistical Design of Experiments (DOE) methodology
- Support and initiate set-up, maintenance and operation of bioprocess equipment including microscope, spectrophotometer, shake flasks, bench-scale bioreactors, pilot SIP bioreactors, autoclave, homogenisers, tangential flow filtration systems and AKTA systems
- Preparation of media and buffers
- Process data entry and data analysis
- Maintain laboratory records, manuals, Standard Operating Procedures, inventory, and other documents, as necessary
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, or relevant field
- 1-3 year of relevant Process Development and/or upstream experience
- Proficiency in microbial cell culture and bioreactor operations with aseptic technique for cell banking and heterologous protein manipulations
- A previous track record of handling equipment such as benchtop and SIP bioreactors, associated clarification techniques, centrifugation, cell disruption, flocculation, diafiltration and purification with AKTA systems
- Self-motivation with a strong sense of ownership in areas of responsibility, including the ability to work independently and communicate across groups effectively
- Detail-orientation with the ability to work with minimal supervision
- A can-do attitude, intellectual curiosity, strong time management skills
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Ability to maintain a safe work environment in accordance with policies, procedures and regulations
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with Design of Experiments (DOE) and statistical data analysis
- Experience in handling mixing systems (bioreactors) and associated heterologous protein recovery equipment inc. tangential flow filtration (TFF)
- Experience in analysis of fermentation broth, residual nutrient, and heterologous protein mass balancing
- Experience in tech transfer and scale up of bioprocesses
In order to comply with UK employment legislation, all applicants must have the right to work in the UK. You will be required to provide evidence of your right to work in the UK during the interview phase.
Closing date: Friday 22nd July